There is nothing as comfortable as sitting on a couch. But after some time, it gets dirty due to dust, pet hair, oil, and needs to be cleaned. The following is the most simplest and effective procedure to clean your couch without stress using clothes steamer.
Vacuum it first. This will help remove all dirt that is stuck on the surface of the couch. It’s better to use a hand vacuum so that you can reach food crumbs, pet hair and dirt hiding in crevices if your couch has removable cushions, then make sure you vacuum all the sides.
Proceed to clean the metal or wooden areas. Using a cloth, liquid soap and warm water, wipe the metal or wooden areas with care till they are clean. This includes the feet of the couch and all other parts which ate non-fabric.
Know which type of fabric the couch is made of. This can be determined by looking at the tag that is on the couch. Carefully, read all the instructions on how it can be cleaned. Generally, you will find the following codes:
- W: water can be used to clean it
- S: only a dry cleaner detergent is supposed to be used.
- WS: utilize mild detergent together with steam vacuum
- X: no water needed, only a vacuum
Remove stains. Couch cleaning includes stain removal. You can choose to use either a homemade cleaner or a commercial one. Normally, homemade cleaners tend to be cheap and environmentally friendly.
Different fabric cleaning procedure
- Synthetic upholstery. Make a solution by mixing one cup of warm water, ½ cup of vinegar, and ½ tablespoon of liquid kitchen soap. Put it in a spray bottle and spray the dirty area then rub using a cloth until the stain is no more.
- Fabric upholstery. Mix ¾ cup of warm water, one tablespoon of castile soap or liquid soap, and ¼ cup vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the stained area followed by rubbing gently using a soft cloth till the stains disappears. Wet another cloth in clean water and rub it on the place to eliminate the soap.
- Leather upholstery, in a spray bottle, mix ¼ cup of vinegar, and ½ cup of olive oil. Spray the stained area, then rub gently with a soft cloth.
- Leave the couch to dry up. Using a dry cloth or towel, dry up water from the surface of the sofa, before leaving it to dry naturally.